LiveHelp is offered Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm.
Staffing is broken into four 3-hour shifts: 9am to 12pm, 12pm to 3pm, 3pm to 6pm, and 6pm to 9pm.
*The evening shift (6-9pm) is currently fully staffed.
Volunteer are required to:
1. View a two-hour online training session and successfully complete a follow-up small group training and practice chat.
2. View supplemental online trainings on the civil legal issues most frequently inquired about on LawHelpNY, such as family and housing law.
3. Commit to at least one weekly three-hour shift for a minimum of ten weeks.
4. Volunteers are responsible for tracking their own time and reporting that to LawHelpNY.
5. Complete an exit survey at the end of their service.
- Due to the significant investment in training and administration for each volunteer, it is expected that volunteers will commit to at least 30 hours of service as a LiveHelp operator.
- Volunteers work from their own computer, in any location where they can reliably access the Internet.
Upon satisfactory completion of the requisite number of hours and the exit survey, LawHelpNY will complete any required paperwork necessary to satisfy the pro bono requirement of the New York State Bar or your respective law school.
To apply, complete the LiveHelp Volunteer Questionnaire and email your resume to
LiveHelp Coordinator Michelle Born at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please contact LiveHelp Coordinator Michelle Born at email@example.com or 212-760-2554, ext. 495.